Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Shortcut to Cooking Nasi Biryani

Don't you agree that we, Malaysians, are very lucky? Most restaurants operated by Indian Muslims (Mamak) here serve Nasi Biryani (or Briyani). We can eat it anytime of the day because some Mamak restaurants operate 24/7. 

Other than that I can also buy meal ready to eat (MRE) Nasi Briyani. My go to brand for MREs is currently Brahim’s. That is because they used to be the appointed caterer for Malaysia Airlines.  They supply it with chicken or mutton included.


MREs are great for days when I ran out of ingredients to cook or when I have to leave the house early.  It is easy to prepare to eat because I can heat it up by steaming or boiling the package in a pot of water for 8 to 10 minutes. I usually steam it over a pot of soup I am boiling for the day. I can also pour the rice with the meat into a bowl to heat up, covered, in a microwave oven for 1 1/2 minutes.

This is how it is cooked if you prefer to make it from scratch and serve it with chicken. 


You can also cook it in a rice cooker.  But, just like when you cook chicken rice in it, you should switch the power off as soon as it is cooked to avoid browning the lower layer of the rice.  Look at the number of ingredients you need to cook the rice.  I wonder if I will consider cooking it from scratch.


 These are the ingredients and steps for cooking the chicken.


I can also buy Brahim's Nasi Briyani paste to cook it with my prefered Thai white rice.


Based on the video I watched, I wonder if I will be able to use the paste to cook the chicken instead of rice.  I can cook it just like how I use their paste to cook Ayam Percik in my airfryer as follows:


I will let you know if it works.

No comments: