Friday, April 12, 2024

Leftover Rice

Recently, I came across the following article shared at Matha Stewart.

How to Store Cooked Rice Safely—and the Best Way to Reheat It, According to Experts

It is noted there that cooked rice should be discarded if it has been left at room temperature for more than two hours as eating it will pose a food safety hazard, especially for those with compromised immune systems.

I do not think that Asians who eat rice on a daily basis will do that. In fact, we boil enough rice for the day so that we can eat it for lunch and dinner.  When it is time to eat, we scoop the rice, right out of the rice cooker, to serve.  Any leftover for the day will be scooped into a container with cover and stored in the refrigerator.

The important thing to note is that you should not add more water than is required to cook your rice as it can spoil more quickly due to high moisture content. I (most Asians) have been taught to use my finger to make sure that I add the right amount of water.  To do that, I put my index finger right above the rice in the rice cooker.  The amount of water I poured in should reach the first knuckle of my finger.  You can read more about that at The Spruce Eats.  They even shared a video of the procedure.

All rice cookers are supplied with a measuring cup.  I find it easier to add 1 cup of water for every cup of rice I cook.  I have been buying Thai white rice and I noticed that it turns out better if I add about 3/4 cup more water to it.  If the rice is not cooked fluffy enough, I can sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons of boiled water over the rice and let it cook further.  The only way you can save a soggy pot of rice is to make porridge with it. Been there, done that.

When I was young, we do not have a refrigerator at home.  We kept leftovers at room temperature in a kitchen cabinet with netted doors for ventilation.  We placed a ceremic cup under each leg of the cabinet.  The cups are specially made.  It is like a cup within a cup to hold water.  The cabinet leg is inserted into the inner cup and water is place in the outer circle of the cup.  This photo of a bed bug trap or interceptor will give you an idea what I mean.  The water placed at the "outer pitfall" noted in this photo prevented ants and insects from crawling in to contaminate our food.  The ceremic cups also prevented the legs of the cabinet from getting rotten by water being splashed on the floor when we washed the area. 

I managed to find a photo of a Chinese cabinet on Pinterest that closely resembled what we had, except that the legs were longer on ours and there is an extra compartment at the bottom for storing our crockery.


When my mom started using the rice cooker, she would leave the leftover rice in it till the following day.  There was a general rule that we must all follow.  We were not allowed to fluff up the cooked rice to loosen the grains as stiring it could make it gooey and spoil it sooner.  The next day the leftover rice will be scooped into a bowl.  After the pot from the rice cooker had been washed, rice for the day will be cooked in it.  The leftover rice will be poured in to be heated up when most of the water had evaporated and bubbles had started popping above the nearly cooked rice.  

Do Asians have stronger constitution?  My grandma lived to a ripe old age of 101 years eating leftovers that were considered not properly stored.  She taught me to pluck the molds off stale bread before eating it.  I noticed that my former Western colleagues will not eat bread after a day even though the loaf had not passed its expiration date.  They used to joke that I ate ants with my bread.  I guess there must be some ants hiding inside the bread after I removed what I could see on the outside before eating it.

Nowadays, we store leftover rice in a container with cover and put it in the refrigerator.  Unless you are making porridge, I will not suggest heating leftover rice in a pot on the stove as there will be wastage as the grains will stick to the pot.  You will also have to watch over it to prevent it from burning.  These are ways I prefer to reheat my leftover rice.  By:

-boiling it up in a pot with leftover soup or water to make porridge.
-heating it in a mini rice cooker (at my bike shop) with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or leftover soup or sauces.
-making fried rice with it.
-steaming it in a covered bowl over a pot of boiling soup (not when boiling lotus roots soup).
-microwaving it 2-3 minutes in a covered bowl with a tablespoon of water added to prevent it from drying out.  

It is true that you should reheat just the amount of cooked rice you want to eat.  Any leftover reheated rice should be kept in the fridge once it is cool but you are not to mix it with the other leftover rice already in the fridge.  Rice that has been reheated too many times can go stale easily.  If you have to reheat the same bowl of rice again, take it out of the fridge to reheat only when you are about to eat it.

Some people will consider buying mini rice cookers to cook just enough rice for the day.  The one that I have is large enough to boil 5 cups of rice.  It has been with me for more than 20 years.  Instead of boiling just enough for the day, I usually boil up to 4 cups of rice each time as I think that it is a great way for me to save time, water and energy cooking it.  That is enough plain rice cooked to feed us for 4 to 6 days.  

To make sure that it will be safe to eat after so many days, I make sure that:

-I do not add more water than is required to cook my rice.  
-the scoop I used for the rice is clean.
-the rice is not warm when I store it in the refrigerator.
-I store the rice in a container with cover.
-the leftover rice to be stored are not stained with sauces or ingredients.
-uneaten reheated rice are not be mixed with the rest of the leftover rice stored in the refrigerator.

No comments: