Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Braised or Pulled Pork to the Rescue

As I boil soup almost on a daily basis, now and then, there are meat on leftover soup bone that no one wants to eat.  I will use them to make a braised pork dish with the following ingredients:

I discovered that it is alright to even use the soup bone from boiling Lotus Root soup.  Do not discard the sauce from braising this dish.  You can add the soup bone from the soup that you will be boiling the following day to continue braising it.  Just add additional sauces to taste if you have to add more water to cover the meat to braise.

Here is another way I made use of the meat from the soup bone. I remove the meat from the bone and break it up with a fork.

I used that to cook my own version of pulled pork:

I can serve it by topping it over my Baby Zhong Cheng, which I buy from Lotus on a weekly basis.  I usually receive them in the condition as shown on their website.


I prepare it by cutting each bunch in half after washing them.  I then cook it in one of the following methods:

-in a pot of boiling water (my preferred choice). 
-placed on a plate with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to microwave for 1-2 minutes.
-steam over a pot of soup I am boiling for the day.

You know they are ready when the leaves are limp and have turned dark green. Removed them from the receptable and drain as much of the water as you can before mixing them with the above Asian flavour sauce mixture.  As the vegetable is already wet from steaming or boiling, I do not have to add water or soup to the sauce: 

1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Soya Sauce
1/2 Tsp Oyster Sauce
Dash of White Pepper

However, if you have been too heavy handed with the sauces, you can dilute it by adding a tablespoon of hot water/ABC soup. 

From the following article I read, I discovered other ways I can serve my pulled pork:


I also learn from it other ways to flavour and cook pulled pork.  These are some that I would like to try making one day:


I found this recipe for pulled pork that I can cook with a slow cooker a day ahead.  It is great for days when I have to leave the house earlier than usual.


I like eating Banh Mi so I am glad to find Lemongrass Pulled Meat recipe to go with it.


I actually have a shortcut for preparing the pork to go with it.  I will prepare and marinate the meat the way I have shared earlier for making my sweet and sour pork. Once they are pan fried, I will cut them into strips to eat with the bread.

Do you have a breadmaker?  If you look at your manual, you will discover that you can make meat floss with it.   This is the instructions for making meat floss with my breadmaker.

Meat floss being a dried product can be stored in an airtight jar. You can read how you can store and make use of it by reading Chinese Pork Floss is the Salty-Sweet Addition Your Pantry Needs shared on Foodnetwork.  But I think Beryl Shereshewsky taste test of dishes made with pork floss will help you to decide if this is something that you would like to try.

No comments: