Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Deep Frying Chicken with Cream Crackers

Would you like to cut down visits to KFC with your children?  Stock some cream crackers at home.  I used to buy them when my children were younger.  I can crushed them up to coat marinated sliced meat to deep fry.

I was taught by a former colleague to marinate the chicken with MSG but I think this recipe from Heavenly Rice is better.  


Check out how I make it for my children.  For a start, I do not use wine in my dishes as it can cause my skin to itch.  You can replace chicken with thinly sliced pork.  I usually cook with pork loin.


You can save on oil when the meat is sliced thinly because you can just pan fry it.


I was taught to marinate the meat with MSG only but you can skip the marinating process because the cream crackers will make the meat taste salty enough after deep frying.  I often add this pan fried meat to my sweet and sour dish.

I usually marinate my pork in advance with the following ingredients:

1) Garlic Oil
2) Soya Sauce and/or Oyster Sauce
3) Sugar
4) Cornstarch

If you like your meat crispier, you can dip the meat in egg, then cornflour (as I was taught), egg again before coating it with the crushed cream crackers.  Since I have already marinated my meat with cornflour, I just dip it in egg followed by cream crackers.  The deep fried chicken or pork will taste just as good, in the way I was taught, without shaoxing wine or sesame oil.  If you run out of cream crackers you can dip the meat in egg, then cornflour and repeat with egg then cornflour before you deep frying it.  

Other than the cream crakers, I have also tried coating the meat with:

-breadcrumbs (my son bought a pack and used it only once)
-potato chips (I like onion flavored chips)
-cornflakes (because what we have in stock have gone soft)

You can discover other coating ingredients you can use from this article:


You can use the measurements provided for ingredients by Heavenly Rice as follows: 









No comments: