Friday, March 22, 2024

Braised Pig's Small Intestines & Braised Pork Bell

I love eating braised pork.  The idea for braising is to cook till the meat falls off the bones and the sauce has been reduced and thickened.  You can see how it is done from this video for braising intestine with pork belly.  


I would prefer to use pork ribs or pork butt or pork shoulder for braising.  If I plan on cooking this dish, I will use pork ribs to boil in my Bak Kut Teh.  I can remove the pork ribs and intestine before they become too tender.  It is alright if I want to add extra pork ribs when boiling my soup as it will enhance its flavour.  I like it that I will require less time to braise the meat if they are already boiled in the soup I cooked for the day.  

This dish will taste just as flavourful braised without the rice wine. I only need a few bits broken off the star anis and the required sauces.  I do not fry the star anis either. I prefer to use a pot to braise as I will not require more liquid to cover the ingredients.  When braising, always check the sauce level.  It is ready to be served once the meat and intestine in the dish is tender enough and the sauce is flavourful. If the ingredients braised are not tender enough I can add water to boil further. If the sauce is not flavourful enough, I will simmer it further to reduce the liquid.


Do you have an easier way to braise a dish?




No comments: