Monday, September 16, 2024

Ginger Soya Sauce Chicken

During my younger days, during Chinese New Year, my grandmother will boil a whole chicken.  The boiled chicken will be placed on the altar.  The broth will used to cook chicken rice.  After prayers, the chicken will be cut up to be eaten with the chicken rice.

The leftover chicken from lunch will be used to fry Ginger Soya Sauce Chicken to be served for dinner.   I discovered from this video that the Thais have the same tradition as we Chinese have.  This is a Thai version of Ginger Soy Chicken ไก่เค็ม (gai kem).


These are the ingredients required:


I do not boil a whole chicken for prayers during Chinese New Year too but I boil soup on a daily basis.  I usually steam additional dishes or heat them up over the pot of soup I boil for the day. If I need cooked chicken to make this dish, I will place my cut chicken in a bowl and steam it over my ABC Soup. The liquid in the bowl can be used instead of water to flavour the dish.  I can also pour it into the ABC soup to enhance its flavour even though I have already added pork soup bone to boil it.

This is my Malaysian version of Ginger Soya Chicken.


No comments: