Friday, September 20, 2024

Broccoli

 There are two methods to prepare broccoli to cook.  This is the Western way.

I prefer the Chinese way to prepare it. Chef Lau, who used to run a Chinese restaurant, shared in this video how broccoli should be selected and cooked.

I read from Woks of Life that chefs in Chinese restaurants blanch the broccoli first because it cooks faster and speeds up the stir frying process.  This dish can be cooked with meat added.  


These are the ingredients you need to cook the dish:


This is a dish that I cook with pork on a weekly basis because my daughter loves it.  I do not blanch my broccoli to cook it. To wash it, I cut each florets out and soak them in water with coarse salt added.  As the florets will float up, I will place a plate over them so they stay beneath the salted water.

I do not use baking soda as I use a meat mallet to tenderise the pork.


Frozen in this size, I can use them to fry pork cutlets.  I usually cut one to two pieces into strips if I need them in vegetable dishes like this.  This is my simplified method to cook it.


No comments: