Saturday, June 22, 2024

Shortcut for cooking curry ayam

I was looking for curry paste to buy at a supermarket and I came across a Malay lady who was also at the same aisle.  So I asked her which curry paste she would suggest that I buy if I want to make chicken curry.  She suggested that I buy Mak Nyonya Instant Chicken Curry Sauce and that is the only sauce I have been buying since.


If you follow the cooking instruction from Mak Nonya, this is how the paste is used:

-Sauté Instant Chicken Curry Sauce together with 1kg of chicken until aromatic.
-Add in 200gm potatoes and 300ml water, bring to boil.
-Add in 200ml coconut milk and simmer over medium heat until chicken are tender.

It is as shown in this video.


This is my shortcut way to cook it with my airfryer.  

I usually use drumsticks to cook the dish.  Once I have cut them up, I will store them covered in a round metal container.  When it is time to cook, I just take the container out from the freezer, remove the cover and airfry it.  The chicken will not be tender enough after I have airfried it.  After airfrying, do not pour the meat into the wok to saute with the curry paste.  Pick each piece up to add as there will be scums in the container.  After airfrying the potatoes, they will be slightly brown but not soft enough  Simmering them with the coconut milk will do the job. 

Whenever coconut milk is required, I usually use the one from Kara.  But now that I buy my groceries online, I tend to choose whatever is on offer, as long as I am comfortable with the brand of the product.

While I fry my curry paste with garlic oil to make it more aromatic, the cook in this video added shallots and curry leaves before adding the curry paste to fry.  Other than potatoes, she also add carrots, brinjals, onions and long beans.  Instead of cooking the chicken curry in a wok or pot, she used a pressure cooker.  She shared that it will take 15 minutes to cook it in a pressure cooker and 20 minutes in a pot or until potatoes are soft. Check it out.

You can also read how I used to cook curry dishes in an earlier posting at the following link:

Shortcuts for cooking a curry dishes


No comments: