Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mummy's Mistakes = Children Gains.

I remember during the earlier days of my marriage, I used a whole chicken when I boiled soup for the children's father.   

There were only two of us eating at home! Since I cooked almost every weekend, that's a lot of leftover chicken to throw away.

I did not learn the basic of cooking a proper meal. I do not even know how to cook my favourite dish then. So, it is no wonder that I have been called a "fun tong" which literary means "rice bin" which actually means "good for nothing".

So, children, start learning your basic now. I am here to help you with these useful links:

Check out Thai Food Ingredients if you do not know the ingredients required in recipes you are working on. Most of the ingredients used in Thai cooking are used locally. I like Thai Table because there is a picture to go with each ingredient and you maybe able to learn Thai way of pronouncing it (if it works).

How to grind dried chillies? Jule Song teaches you how to handle dried chilli so that it will not stink your eyes and how to store it to preserve it. She even saved the water for soaking the dried chilli for cooking her noodles!

Generate an interest to learn by cooking with the ingredients you love to eat. Calvin surprise yourself. Google "canned peach" and see what you get. Mummy did that and discovered:

1) interesting ways to cook with peaches at California Cling Peach.
2) Also at Cooks.
3) Pick Your Own where you can also learn How to Make Homemade Canned Peaches, Plums, Pears, Plums, Nectarines and Cherries.

Since price of ingredients keep going up, don't be deterred by cost to learn. Learn by using leftovers. Don't forget to check out the recipes and ideas Mummy have created.

That's it for the moment till I find more to add to this.

And remember what Mummy said before. Good things always come out of bad experiences. Maybe if Mummy had not been criticized, Mummy would not have bothered to learn and teach you to cook.

So, what else did Mummy learned from this "good for nothing" period? The knowledge that your father must really love me since he had once commented that the food I cooked could be used to hit and kill a dog.

Your father (born in the year of dog) survived the hits. Your better half may not be so lucky, dude (and dudette).

No comments: