Thursday, December 30, 2021

Tom Yam Soup

I bought my MasFood Instant Tom Yam Paste from TESCO. I like it that they share how to use the paste on their site. It helps me to decide if I would like to give it a try.  

When I received the paste, I see that the same instruction as follows is already printed on the packaging:  
Preparation: 
800ml (4 bowl) water, 1 packet MasFood Instant Tom Yam Paste, 2 nos. tomatoes, 1 clove garlic (crushed), 1 nos. shallot (crushed), 1 sprig coriander, 6 nos red chillies (crushed), 3 nos prawns, 3 nos. cuttlefish and 1 nos. chicken breast (cooked).

Cooking Method:
1.) Tear the cooked chicken breast into shreds. Set aside.
2.) Boil 4 bowls of water in a pan. Add in tomato, garlic and shallot. Then, cook about 10 minutes.
3.) Add in MasFood Instant Tom Yam Paste, cooked chicken breast, coriander leaves, red chilli, prawn and cuttlefish. Then, cook about 3 minute. Serve.

It should interest you to know that you don't have to use the ingredients suggested if you have some soup leftover from your last meal. The soup I like to add the Tom Yam paste to is the ABC soup, which I usually boil with pork. Check out the ingredients required to boil the soup and you will understand why it makes such a great soup stock for cooking other dishes.

I seived the ABC soup into a pot. I did not include the ingredients from the ABC soup to make my Tom Yam soup. Once the soup is boiling, I added the paste, spoonful by spoonful, till I get the taste I like. Instead of fresh seafood, I used Figo 5 in 1 Steamboat Choice.  I did not use the whole pack. I added just enough to feed my family without overcrowding the soup.

I drizzled the soup with garlic oil. You can add fried shallot or its oil if you have it at home. I served it garnished with a sprig of coriander.  

The next time I make the Tom Yam soup, I will add chicken to it.

No comments: