Sunday, September 18, 2022

Check the Diameter of Your Pots and Pans

Do you know how to measure the diameter of your pots and pans? 

You measure the size at the top, from the inside of the pot or pan, as shown from this product information from Igozo, currently, my favourite cooking utensil brand.


Here are some reasons why you need the mesaurement for the pots or pans you have on hand. 

If you know the size, the next time you buy another pot or pan, you can buy one similar in size to what you already have. That way, the covers can be interchanged and you will not be stuck with a pot or pan without a cover as it has been damaged.

However, if you have a pot that is smaller in width at its base and wider at the top, you should not have any problem using a cover from a pot of smaller diameter as long as the pot you are cooking with is deep enough and the smaller cover is large enough to sit over the food. So, based on how much food I am cooking, I do not have any problem using covers from my 28cm or 30cm pot or pan to cover this 32cm wok that I have.


So, saying, I do not store my pots and pans with the covers they came with. I store them separately on a pot lid organiser.

Do you like to use your pots for steaming food? I do. So, I am always on a look out for heat resistance bowls that I can use on my rack for steaming. It will be easier for you to find bowls in the right size if you know the diameter of your pot. These are some of my favourite glassware to use as they come with covers. I will use the glass covers if I do not want water vapours from the steam dripping into the dishes, which will dilute the sauces in them.



Recently, I bought this two tier tiffin from Igozo. I like it that it is supplied with two stainless steel containers that I can use separately.  I sometimes remove the stainless steel containers and packed food that do not contain sauces in the plastic tiffin carrier.


I discovered that the stainless steel containers fit perfectly on the steaming rack of my 1L mini multi-cooker that I have in my bike shop. So, while boiling water for my coffee in it, I can heat up my leftover home-cooked food to eat on its rack. 


The two stainless steel containers can also be used together for steaming food in the Igozo steam pot that I bought recently. 


With these containers, I can now heat up more dishes while boiling my soup. 

I am sharing all these information because I hope that one day should my children take over my kitchen ware and utensils they will know how to fully utilise them and not think about discarding them if they are still in good condition.  

For example, they may have issue using the tall cover of one of my pots if they are cooking something near a wall mounted hood. They can solve this problem by using a regular flat cover of the same diameter from another pot that I have.

Another note for my children:

Just remember not to heat dishes this way when you are boiling herbal soup or lotus root soup as they can affect the flavour of your dishes.

No comments: